History of the Southern Provincial Public Service Commission
Executive powers in respect of appointments, promotions, transfers, disciplinary control and dismissal of the officers of the provincial public service were vested in the Hon. Governor under the article 32(1) of Provincial Council Act no 42 of 1987. Hon Governor delegated his powers to the Southern Provincial Public Service Commission (SPPSC) which was established in 1988 accordance with the article 33(1) of the provincial council act.
According to the amendment was made to the article 32 of principal act no 42 of 1987 by act no 28 of 1990, SPPSC was subject to the delegation of its powers on appointments, promotions, transfers, disciplinary control and dismissal of the non staff grade officers of the provincial public service to the chief secretary and the secretaries of the provincial ministries. But the right of appellate power was kept with the commission with regard to the officers aggrieved by any order made by the officer whom the provincial public service commission has delegated its powers.
Currently, SPPSC consists with 5 members who are appointed by the Hon Governor of the southern province. One member was nominated as the chairman for the commission while the rest of them are holding the membership. Members are entitled to hold the office for 5 years with the possible extension for the consecutive reappointment for another term.
The first commission was established on 1st of November 1988 and three members were appointed as follows.
- Mr. D.S.Karannagoda Chairman from 1988-1994
- Mr. P.S.Jayaweera Member from 1988-1994
- Mr. A.R.M.Zain Member from 1988-1994
In 1994 the following officers were appointed to the commission;
- Mr. W.C.W. Senevirathna – Chairman – from 27.09.1994 to 30.04. 2010
- Mr. D.W.Vitharana – Member – from 27.09.1994 to date
- Mr. N.F.N.Samsudeen – Member – from 27.09.1994 to 15.04.1997
Then Mr. K.G.J.K.Siriwardana was appointed as a member of the commission from 30.06.1997 and currently the commission consists with 5 members.
- Mr. H.W.Wijerathna – Chairman
- Mr. D.W.Vitharana – Member
- Mr. K.G.J.K.Siriwardana – Member
- Mr. Munidasa Halpandeniya – Member
- Mr. Srimal Wijesekara – Member
Secretaries of the Commission
- Mr. W. Somadasa
- Mrs. Simila .P. Vithana
- Mr. A.Samarasinghe
- Ms. M.I.P.Wickramasinghe
- Mr. D.G. Punchihewa
- Mr. K.L. Dayananda
- Mr. W.Weerakoon
- Mr. M.Y.S. Deshapriya
- Mr. Saman Darshana Pandikorala